Founded initially as a society in the early 1990s, University of London Lifesaving Club developed into a sports club circa ’98, and have continued expanding ever since. The club provides a wide range of awards including the RLSS Life Support and Survive & Save.
Our trainings consist of two sections. Dryside is where we learn and practice first aid skills for competitions and awards, such as the RLSS Life Support awards. The basic skills we learn include dealing with bleeds, burns, broken bones, various medical conditions as well as adult, child and baby CPR. To hone our skills we practice working in teams of four to deal with mock scenarios in the form of Simulated Emergency Rescue Competitions (SERCs), where quite literally anything can happen! We have had SERCs ranging from cave-ins to Game of Thrones, Shipwrecks to Harry Potter!
Poolside is where we learn various rescue techniques for helping casualties in and around water. Some of the events we practice are: the rope throw, swim and tow, medley relay, obstacles, manikin carry, and not forgetting the pool based SERC!
The Lifesaving club is passionate about all aspects of lifesaving; training in both water safety education and lifesaving sporting events.
- Competes in the annual Student BULSCA league throughout the academic year in competitions held in various universities across the UK;
- Works with RLSS Essex at their Outdoor Event in the summer, with most of our members gaining awards with them along the way;
- Holds a range of trips throughout the year, including a training session in the Olympic Pool in the Queen Elizabeth Park and an open water swim in Hampstead Heath;
- And trips to various restaurants across London (but we love My Old Dutch so we usually end up there every year!);
- Has also taken part in the Swimathon 2017 to raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care.
Who: Anyone based in London, especially students from any University of London university can join us!
When: We hold session every week on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays. Wednesday is a poolside only session which we use specifically for competitions and technique training.
Dryside – 19:30-21:00
Poolside – 21:00-22:00
Poolside – 16:00-17:30
Dryside – 14:30-16:00
Poolside – 16:00-17:30
Where: Student Central building, Malet Street, London, WC1E 7HY
What to bring: Swimming gear and lots of enthusiasm!
To join our club, please visit our Student Central’s website where you can purchase the membership. You will need to be a member of the Student Central, click here for more info.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/UoLLifesavingClub/
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ulu.lifesaving/